Bon Vivant's written and pictorial diary of her culinary adventures that will amuse and excite your virtual taste buds...

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Fremont Diner: A Gem in Sonoma

A preview of coming attractions: a close-up of the insanely good pulled pork sandwich.


How many times have I driven by the Fremont Diner on my way to SF or Petaluma and wondered, "hm, I wonder what that place is?" Many. Recently I noticed that the old wood shack (which used to be Babe's Burgers) that looked a drab Army barrack had been painted a fresh bright white and there were a bunch of yuppie cars in the parking lot. Swore to self that I would definitely check it out. Didn't even have time since on the same day I was invited to join Peggy for lunch later that week.

Another view of the ridiculously good pulled pork sandwich with the best onion rings I've had maybe ever.


I had done a little research ahead of time and discovered that the thing to order is the Nashville Hot Chicken (fried chicken served on a piece of bread that soaks up all of the grease from the chicken - divine!) Uh, oh, the chicken was not on the menu but there were twenty other things that I wanted to order (I believe that the menu changes daily).

I limited myself to only three items and asked about the Nashville Hot Chicken. The lady at the counter was so nice and she offered to have the kitchen make me an order. This was the best fried chicken that I've had yet in the Bay Area! Although it was a tad bit greasy, the crust was uber crispy and flavorful and the chicken tender and juicy. The ultimate test was that it tasted even better the next day.


Salad or macaroni and cheese as a side? What do you think this noodle whore ordered?


My only complaint was the the mac n cheese didn't have enough cheese in it but I took home the left-overs and added a bit more cheese before heating and it morphed into extremely good creamy mac n cheese.

The charcuterie platter speaks for itself:



From left to right: Prosciutto with wine marinated prunes; chorizo with Mahon, pistachios, and chopped quince; bresciola with fresh grapefruit and balsamic drizzle; and sopressata with pickled onions.


Not only was this one of the most fantastic tasting charcuterie platters that I have in a long time, it was also one of the most beautifully presented.

Well, I felt obligated to order something "healthy" and opted for the Gardner's Open Faced Sandwich instead of the Cincinnati Chili. While this sandwich did not have the cajones of the pulled pork sammie, it was still quite lovely (to look at and eat!) Shaved fennel, radish, and onion with a hint of dill were served over some great bread slathered with goat cheese. Definitely a great option for a vegetarian or someone who wants to eat light.


Fremont Diner
2698 Fremont Drive
Sonoma, CA 95476
(707) 938-7370

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger GourmetGal said...

Great pics, and the food looks so delish!

9:12 PM

 
Blogger Daphne said...

Yum! I want to head over there for that charcuterie platter alone!

10:06 AM

 
Anonymous Snack Lover said...

That fried food looks amazing. And I would definitely take those onion rings over funyuns

2:35 AM

 
Anonymous Mr. Adi said...

I am very pleased to see the contents of your blog, because I got the information interesting and very important. Thank you.
The next time I will visit again

10:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is so wonderful!This is the standard New Year's Day meal for my husband's German family. We have it with dumplings or mashed potatoes, and it's just delicious.I remember since i was college when i was on school cooking some dishes..i like it..Culinary Schools in New York

9:39 PM

 
Anonymous sprnkleandserve said...

I visited in December and absolutely loved the Fremont Diner. I still dream about the food. One of my best eats in 2010!

1:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home