Bon Vivant's written and pictorial diary of her culinary adventures that will amuse and excite your virtual taste buds...

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Kara's Cupcakes in Oxbow

A preview of coming attractions – cupcakes galore:


Like a lot of people, I had been waiting for Kara’s Cupcakes to open up in Oxbow for a long time. Finally, this week I received an email from the good folks at Oxbow informing me of Kara’s grand opening – that day.

I was hesitant at first since I’m uber picky about my cupcakes. Down in my former domicile, Los Angeles, cupcake stores are everywhere and most of the cupcakes are dreadful: dry, tasteless cake and frosting that is over dominated by sugar and lacks any nuance of flavor. But I was pleasantly surprised by Kara’s cupcakes.

My favorite cupcake thus far:


This is the Spring Chick, a vanilla cupcake filled with passion fruit cream and topped with a vanilla frosting adorned with coconut. Great flavors (all of the components were really balanced) and the texture was lovely.

A close-up of the Meyer Lemony Lemon which seems to be one of their more popular flavors:


The grand tour of the platter of cupcakes:



Both chocolate cupcakes, the Chocolate Velvet and the Fleur de Sel, were really good! The Fleur de Sel was one of my favorite cupcakes: the cake was very dense and the chocolate ganache was fabulous. Added to this was a caramel filling which I felt was somewhat unnecessary considering how rich and delicious the cake and frosting were.

And finally, a pic of the “normal” chocolate cupcakes:



Kara’s Cupcakes
Oxbow Public Market
610 First Street, Suite 19
Napa, CA 94559

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger GourmetGal said...

Me love my cup cakes.....Aunty Ems make smaller versions now, so you don't feel quite as guilty!

1:11 PM

 
Blogger Bon Vivant said...

Auntie Em's are still my favorites!

10:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dam, these make me hungry again ;)

TT

10:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home